Sunday, April 14, 2013

Talking through doors, part II

So we had to get our computer worked on last weekend because it's dying a long, slow death.  But it reminded me of the last time our computer needed a major overhaul.  It was years ago and the boys were quite small.  We were in the Seattle area and John found some guy who'd come over to the house and fix whatever needed fixing.  It was also the period of time when I would lock myself in the bathroom as soon as John got home from work, and take a bath, for like a hour.

So I was soaking in the bath, actively ignoring all the sounds coming from downstairs.  Then John knocked lightly on the door.

 <tap tap tap>
Me: What?
John: You need to come downstairs.
Me: No.
And he walked away.

A few minutes later he came back and knocked lightly on the door again.
<tap tap tap>
Me: what?!
John:  I really think you should come downstairs.
Me: Go away.
And he walked away again.

A few more minutes passed and he slipped a note under the door,  hastily scrawled on a manila file folder that he'd clearly just grabbed out of his briefcase.

It said, "The DUDE is wearing a TAIL.  I'm serious!!"

Well, hell.  How do you ignore a note like that??

So I hurriedly got out of the tub, dried off, threw something one and went downstairs.  And damn if there isn't a guy sitting on my living room floor, taking apart our computer, and wearing a long fluffy white tail.  A tail.

I said 'Hi" and walked in to the kitchen.

Me:  Huh.
John:  Huh.
Me:  So, he's, uh, wearing a tail.
John:  Yup. It's a fox tail.
Me:  A fox tail?
John: Yeah, he told me all about it.  And his business card says, "FoxFixIt"
Me:  Oh, that makes sense.
John: Yup.
<silence>
Me: You know, this was on an episode of CSI.
John: hm?
Me: Yeah. They're called fluffies or plushies or something.
John: <just standing there nodding his head> sure....
<more silence>
John: I wonder if he's ever slammed it in the car door?
Me:  You know, no one's going to believe this.
John:  Good.

Needless to say the genius this weekend wasn't wearing a tail.  Too bad, really.  They should have to dress like fruit.





No comments:

Post a Comment