Friday, April 5, 2013

Robopocaplypse, Part IV

The computers are slowly cutting off my communication to the outside world.  And I think I should be more concerned than I am......

It started with my smart phone.  It won't let me send out emails.  We've gotten it to work a couple times but after about a week it "can't recognize me" which is odd because I pretty much look that same as I always have. And the 'geniuses' can't figure it out but how much of a genius can you be if you work at the mall?

Then last month our home computer stopped sending emails.  No error message, no letting us down gently, no "it's not you, it's me", just bang.  Nothing.  But we can still email from the ipads so it's basically okay.   John did spend 85 minutes on the phone with tech support only to be left very unsupported but other than that we've basically taken it sitting down.  Literally sitting down, on the couch.

Now this week our home phone shortened it's ringing cycle. And for the life of me I can't figure out how to change it.  It used to ring 5 times before going to voice mail and now it only rings twice. That's two times. You know what I've discovered? I can't answer the phone in two rings no matter where I am in the house.  I can't answer the phone in two rings if the damn thing is sitting in my lap. I pick it up, fumble the keys and the call is gone.  shit.

So, no emailing from my phone, no emailing from my computer and no incoming calls on the land line. Our response, basically nothing.  It's been a bloodless coup.  Oh sure, we've gotten frustrated, we've made a few calls but mostly we've adapted.  The computers are winning and we really don't care because the cable still works, right?   I'm figuring we've got about two maybe three more moves before we're check mated. So if you're driving by my house and there's a "Send Help" sign hanging in the window, please order us a pizza and just keep on driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment