Tuesday, June 11, 2013

They didn't cover this in the National Geographic video

So the principal stopped me yesterday.  He had been out on the playground during recess and this 5th grade girl came over to him with two ladybugs on her finger.  "Mr. Haar! Look! This ladybug is giving the other ladybug a piggyback ride!" Sam was standing there too and said, "Yeeeaahhh, I don't think that's what they're doing."  Then she got all panicky because the ladybug on top was shaking a whole bunch and wouldn't get off the ladybug on the bottom.  So she said, "I think I need to go see Mrs. Sawires"  (she's the science teacher)  At this point Tom pipes in.  Now Tom only talks at one volume and it's around a 6.  And he'll say the same thing over and over.  (Could be an Asperger's thing or it could be a Dawson thing because my family can be rather loud and, you never know, maybe they didn't hear you the first time.)   So Tom says, "I THINK THEY'RE MATING.   I THINK THEY'RE MATING.  I THINK THEY'RE MATING.  I THINK THEY'RE MATING."  This is when Mr. Haar, recognizing he'd lost control of the situation, said "I think the ladybugs are fine" and walked away.

This was all rather timely because the 5th graders watched the puberty video last week and all I could think (after I stopped laughing) was, "Oh my god, they were actually paying attention!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment