Monday, February 25, 2013

The Organic Carrot Caper of 2013

So I'm in the grocery store having an argument with the self-scanner.  They're like toddlers; they don't make any sense but they also won't stop talking.  I'm only buying two items but the scanner won't let me have them.  After the third "Unexpected Item in Bagging Area" error message, the clerk with the master code comes over to help.  Not because of the error messages, mind you, but because I'd inadvertently selected "bulk carrots" instead of "organic carrots" thus successfully stealing $1.07 from the grocery store. Early retirement, here I come.

I set down the asparagus to rescan the carrots and get yet another "Unexpected Item in Bagging Area" message.  Master Clerk looks at me and says, "You selected 'I don't want to bag this' then you set the item in the bagging area."  And she has this look on her face like I've been caught eating grapes in the produce section and is desperately trying to remember the emergency code for Mad Woman at Self Scanners, Immediate Assistance Required.

Me: "Well, I don't want a bag.  I brought my own bag. But if I put my bag in the bagging area, I get that stupid code."

Master Clerk: "Oh, you can't put your bag in the bagging area until after you've completed your transaction."

Me: "Of course not, that would be just crazy"

Me: "Is there a button for 'I don't want a bag but I don't want to stand here holding everything either?"

Master Clerk:  nothing

And this is a grocery store for god sake, if shopping bags and food are "unexpected items", what are they expecting? Squirrels?

No comments:

Post a Comment