Thursday, February 21, 2013

Leadership has many forms

I'm the PTA president at my kids' elementary school so I park illegally.  Because being PTA president should have some perks, am I right?  There's a spot in the teachers' parking lot that is not a parking space.  If you have any doubts whether or not it is a parking space you can read the "No Parking" spray-painted on the cement.  But it just happens to be really close to the front door so I started parking there anyway.

Gradually other people started parking in my illegal parking space and I was so proud.  I had turned an illegal parking spot into a legal parking spot, despite the "no parking" painted on the road.  Now that's leadership!

But after 4 or 5 months, so many people were using my illegal parking spot that I could no longer use it.  What's a girl to do?  I asked the ladies in the office to do something about all the people using my illegal spot but they thought I was joking.

Last week, when I got to school there were orange traffic cones in my illegal parking space.  My first thought was, "Wow, they're actually trying to keep people out of my spot!" Then I parked on top of them. Well, apparently that was not the intent of the cones. They were to keep me (and my acolytes) from parking where the  short buses needed to park. (Did I not mention that my illegal parking space was right where the short buses pick up the kindergartners? Come on, they're young, they can walk. Exercise combats childhood obesity. I do it out of love.) But whatever....

So they left me no choice, really. Having been driven out of the teachers' parking lot, all I was left with was the front parking lot. And the front parking lot just happened to have a parking spot with an empty pole. A pole just waiting for a sign.  I mean it's just standing there with nothing to do.  That sad, lonely pole was breaking my heart! Pole unemployment is a travesty! Something had to be done! (And the sign only cost $28.99 plus tax and shipping).


(By the way, hanging a sign....not as easy as it looks.  It look a ratchet set, needle nosed pliers, 2 trips to the hardware store, 2 step ladders and an accomplice. I'm exhausted.)


No comments:

Post a Comment