Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Why California is Broke

I'm convinced it's all started with the four-way stop at the bottom on my hill and snowballed from there.

Before turning into my neighborhood, there are 13 signs (or words painted on the road) to let you know that you are approaching a 4-way stop.  14 if you count the little flashing lights separately but I don't cause I kinda see them as a set.  That's thirteen.  XIII

So, at some point in time there was a city council meeting that went something like this:

Councilman #1:  It has come to my attention that drivers are continuing to run the four way stop at the intersection of XXX and XXX.
Council body: <gasp>
(Oh, come on, you know some moron gasped.)
Councilman #2:  Decisive action must be taken!
Councilman #1: How many signs are currently posted?
Councilman #3: <rifling through papers> 12
Councilman #2:  A 13th sign is needed immediately!
Council body: <roar of approval>
Councilmen: Goddamn, we're fantastic leaders!
Lone woman in the back:  Really??
Council body: BOO! Get rid of that woman who doesn't appreciate our awesomeness!!

So if you take the cost of maintenance on that intersection alone, and times it by the gazillion intersections in the state, you get about $17 left to run everything else.  It's basic math.

I'm going to start a business making traffic signs, who's with me??

*On a similar note, there are 11 stop lights between my house and the gym which is 2.4 miles away. (and that isn't counting the four way stops)  If I hit 9 of them red, I turn around and go home.  That, my friends, is the universe telling you that it's a bad day to go to the gym!

No comments:

Post a Comment