Friday, March 6, 2015

So I got yelled at by the Crossing Guard

There is a four way stop at the corner of the school that is controlled by a crossing guard. I was about to say 'volunteer' but for all I know, she's getting paid. Anyway... I go through it twice each morning, once to drop the boys off and another when I drive away.  This morning I was stopped at the intersection, waiting to make a right hand turn.  (If you live in California, you know that this means that I'm in the bike lane.  That's one of the questions that I missed on the Driver's Test.  When making a right hand turn, what do you NOT do? A, B, C, or D.  Well, it must be 'C' because you never drive in the bike lane.  It's a bike lane. Emphasis on Bike.  WRONG.)  So I'm stopped in the bike lane, waiting for three kids to cross the street.  The crossing guard is standing in the middle of the crosswalk, sporting her reflective vest, sign raised high in the air, whistle in mouth.  When the kids got past her and almost to the curb, my foot came off the brake slightly and the car slowly inched forward for about 2 seconds before I pressed back down on the brake.  The guard turned to me and hollered, "SSSTTTOOOOPPPP"  Now picture me sitting there,  it's 7:45 am, I'm stopped at the crosswalk, elbows on the steering wheel, chin in my hands, I think I was even yawning.  STOP? Stop, what? I was so confused for a split second, then I hollered back, "I KNOOOOOWWW" Good morning to you too. What did she think I was going to do? Make a right hand turn with my forehead? Talk about stupid human tricks....

And to think, not that long ago I was telling myself that I should bring her a Starbucks one morning since she's here everyday, twice a day, even the 3 days that it rained.  Well, you can kiss that latte good-bye, Sister.

"Everything you are doing is bad. I want you to know this."

No comments:

Post a Comment