Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Book Challenge - Not for the Faint of Heart

This is getting more challenging.  In the last two books that I have read; well, the last book and the current book; the characters each have two names.  Not two word names like Barbara Ann but two completely different names like Owen Quine and Bombyx.  The first book involved a bunch of characters and a manuscript containing their alter egos.  There were around 10 characters with 2 names each so I had to make a cheat sheet so I could keep them straight.

The book I'm currently reading takes place during and after World War II.  There are two British characters who are hiding out with German names and there are German characters with German names along with German military ranks and nicknames that the British dudes have given them.  That was during the war.  Now after the war, the German dudes are hiding out under different German names while referring back to their old German names.  And we all know how smoothly German names and ranks roll off the tongue.  Obersturmbannfuhrer Gerhart Peuckert . Fuck me.

Before my biggest problem with character names arose was when authors used names that were similar to each other.  Jillian Trilby and Julie Teasdale.  Really? For God's sake, this is FICTION.  Pick a different name.

I had to put the current book down because it looks liked one of our British characters, who was hiding out under a German name during the war, had just been giving different German name after the war.  Could we not have just killed him off?  I know he's center to the plot but I stopped caring about him 2 aliases ago.

And to make matters even worse, this is my "Book originally written in a different language" and the danish to english translation is a little sketchy at times.

I'm going to read a nice Dr. Seuss after this.

The story is set in an Insane Asylum.
And it's driving me nuts!




No comments:

Post a Comment