Monday, September 22, 2014

Homicide on Aisle 12

We finished up the wainscoting in the boys' bathroom and it looks great!

We went with wainscoting instead of beadboard because I had a vision.  (John hates that.)  I had a vision and did a little googling and decided that wainscoting would be easier.  In fact it would be far less work than beadboard.  Really.  So I explained my vision a couple of times and John stressed his desire to stick with beadboard a couple of times.  I kept at it, convinced that he would be swayed to my side once he fully understood my vision in detail and he kept playing dumb every time I brought it up, as if we hadn't already talked about it seven times, in hopes that I would give up.  The final discussion took place in the lumber aisle at Home Depot:

John, "So, why are we over here? Where's the beadboard?"
Me, "We're doing wainscoting."
John, "Wait? Since when? I thought we were doing beadboard?"
Me, "OH MY GOD! HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT? WE'VE TALKED ABOUT THIS A TH...."
John, "Hey, relax.  Why are you getting so worked up?"
Me, "DON'T TELL ME TO RELAX.  I DON'T NEED TO RELAX! Y..."
John, "Okay, okay. explain it to me again."
Me, "OH MY GOD! DON'T GIVE ME THAT LOOK. YOU'RE GIVING ME THAT LOOK LIKE I'M SOM....'

Now people are walking by staring at me.  Like I'm the crazy person.

So I explained my vision again and he finally relented.  Now all we needed to do was get the boards cut to size and get the hell out of there.  I had the measurements but John wanted to use the smaller 2' x 4' boards and I wanted to use the bigger 4' x 4' boards because it will mean fewer cuts but he wasn't following my math so I kept explaining it louder and louder but it didn't seem to be helping.  And people kept walking by, judging us.

We finally made it back to the big band saw or whatever the hell it's called and the nice HD guy was there to make the cuts for us.  He just needed the measurements.  So he stood there with the saw running, and John was telling him how much needed to be cut off and I was telling him how much needed to stay so we were literally coming at the problem from opposite directions and after we'd both shouted a couple of numbers, John started shouting, "Omaha, Omaha" until the guy finally turned the saw off.  I guess he assumed that we were shouting over the noise.  He clearly wasn't married.

We needed four pieces of board.  We came home with six but it all worked out in the end.

before


step 1

step 2

step 3

step 4
 So Ta-da! Wainscoting.  And you can't even see the blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment