Tuesday, April 8, 2014

I figured it out

I started watching Game of Thrones and I was going to rant about how confusing it is.  How I have to watch it with two reference guides; a map and a character list.  And the character list is constantly  out of date because of all the deaths and new character introductions.   Not to mention that everyone has two names and a title and comes from a region, a city and a castle, and none of the names are spelled the way they're pronounced.  So it's Daenerys Taragaryan of House Baratheon (I think. no, that's not right) but she's also called Khaleesi, of the Dothraki, wife of Khal Drogo, but sometimes we'll call her Dany pronounced Danny.  Don't ask me how you pronounce "Daenerys" but I'm pretty sure all the "y's" are there just to fuck with us.   I thought it'd be easy with the main character, Ned (who is no longer the main character because he's dead) but they started referring to Eddard.  Who the hell is Eddard? Wait, that's Ned? What the hell?!?  And the show is filled with British dudes with stringy dark hair in battle dress who all look alike!!!!!

But I digress.....What I wanted to say was, I figured it out.   The whole point of the series.  I figured it out!  The Grand Lesson that Mr. George R. R. Martin is trying to teach us. (really? George R. R. Martin? not George Martin? c'mon)  I occurred to me this morning over breakfast.  This whole mess started because of one single incident that happened in the every first episode when Bran (pronounced Bran which actually confused me further because, shirley, that can't be right. right?) Anyway Bran climbed the tower.  After his mother told him not to.

Catelyn: BRAN! How many times have I told you not to climb the tower? (she actually said this)
Bran: <mumble> <mumble> <mumble> I donnow.
Catelyn: Promise me you won't climb the tower.
Bran: <mumble> <mumble> I promise <mumble> <mumble>

And what does he do? He climbs the tower.  Then boom, he's paralyzed, mom starts poking around, dad starts poking around, king get killed, dad gets killed, sisters get kidnapped, huge fucking war, backstabbing, betrayal, everyone gets promised to some creepy in-law, Jamie loses his hand, which is the same hand he used to push Bran out the window so a little poetic justice there ha ha ha. But all because Bran didn't listen to his mother.  See, it's not just me.  Millions of dollars in production value are being spent to teach you to listen to your mother.  LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER AND NO ONE DIES!

jeez.

No comments:

Post a Comment