Monday, September 9, 2013

Dogs - Man's most expensive best friend

So I stopped by the vet's this morning to pick up Abbey's meds.  Just regular ole over the counter flea/tick meds and heart worm pills.  $147  When did the cost of caring for your dog raise to the same level as the cost of caring for your kids?

Don't get me wrong, I love Abbey.  She may be pushy about the belly rubs but there are days when she's my favorite person in the house.  She hangs on my every word and no one in the world is as happy to see me as her.  Even when I've just been in the bathroom.  Bouncing, tag wagging: <where have you beeeeeen? I missed you soooooo much! scratch my belly.  scratch it.  scratch the belly.>

But $147 for flea/tick and heart worm meds??  Let face it, if fleas and ticks didn't bite humans, no one would care about them.  And heart worms?  I'm still not entirely sure they exist.  I didn't buy the pills until they starting putting those 3-D plastic models in the examination rooms.  Neither did you; stop lying.  But that model is so gross, and strikingly similar to several sci-fi movies, that I bought the pills.   I didn't want that those things bursting out of her chest and eating the rest of the crew.  Who needs that?

Me:  The vet wants $500 to clean Abbey's teeth so she doesn't die of kidney failure.
John:  How can bad teeth cause kidney failure?
Me:  I don't know but the price is still $500.
John:  The dog didn't cost $500.
Me:  I know; that's what I said and she gave me a funny look.  The vet, not the dog.
John:  Her teeth look fine.
Me:  I know.
John:  So what are we going to do?
Me:  I bought a $13.99 canine toothbrush and told Sam I'd give him a quarter every time he brushed the dog's teeth.
John:  Genius.
Me: I have my moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment