Wednesday, August 19, 2015

My Thoughts Exactly

I just finished reading "I've Still Got It...I Just Can't Remember Where I Put It: Awkwardly True Tales From the Far Side of Forty" by Jenna Mccarthy.  It filled the "A book written by an author with your same initials" requirement for my reading challenge.

It's quite funny and she hits very close to home on many, many points but her thoughts on mammograms are dead on!

" .....every time I see my boob flattened out like a homemade tortilla between icy plates of glass and metal, my singular thought is Really? This is still the best we've got?  Think about it.  We can send monkeys (and humans!) into outer space and sport wearable computers with built-in facial recognition software.  We can build a working semiautomatic firearm, an acoustic guitar, a glazed ceramic coffee cup, waterproof bikini, a precise miniature Aston Martin replica, and even human organs with nothing more than a 3-D printer. We can fuel cars with recycled fryer oil, track the calories we burn with every step we take, and transplant entire faces that have been ravaged by disaster or disease.  We've built robotic lifeguards that have pulled people from riptides and saved their lives.  You'd think by now we could just swallow a little computer chip that would scan our insides on the way down and transmit all of the data to our doctors' computers in real time before we pooped the thing out.  But no. Apparently, figuring out how to get Leonardo DiCaprio to Mars has kept scientists extremely busy."

Amen, Sister!

I'm now reading "William Shakespeare's Star Wars" by Ian Doescher.
(Book Challenge requirement: A play)

OBI-WAN:                                                --True it is,
                       That these are not the droids for which
                        thou search'st.


No comments:

Post a Comment