Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Well, we did just see Selma

So the boys had eye appointments this afternoon.  Sam went back first for the preliminaries and returned to the reception area to wait for his eyes to dilate.  As he was walking past me he said, "I've got 20/15 vision! I'm better than perfect!" Then he sat down, leaned towards me and said in a quieter voice, "I have to see another doctor.  He said it would be a darker man."  Me, "what?"  Sam, "A darker man."

In the next 3 seconds the following flew through my mind.  "What? Sure, he was an older white man but come on, you don't get all racially inappropriate in the middle of an eye exam.  And to a kid. What the hell.  And to think we just saw Selma and were discussing how racism still exists and then something like t......"

And then the pieces fell into place, "It's Doctor Mann. You have to wait to see Doctor Mann."

Sam, "aaaahhhhhhh"

I couldn't stop laughing.


No comments:

Post a Comment