Thursday, November 14, 2013

Book Review

So last week I finished my 6 book "Novels of Terror" series, followed it up with a Young Adult distopia book and desperately needed a palette cleanser.  I've had "Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore" on my kindle list for quite so time and now seemed like the perfect time to read it.  I'm about halfway through and it's great!!  It's full of quirky characters, that say things like:

"….when people are past a certain age, you sort of stop asking them why they do things.  It feels dangerous."

and
"She's wearing the same red and yellow BAM! T-shirt from before, which means (a) she slept in it, (b) she owns several identical T-shirts, or c) she's a cartoon character -- all of which are appealing alternatives."

The narrator's voice makes me wish we were friends.  AND, there's a mysterious group of book-readers who are trying to solve the mysteries of the universe.  Can you beat that??  So if you're looking for your next book to read, I highly recommend "Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore" by Robin Sloan.    It's the kind of book that has you re-reading lines because they feel good.

Unless the ending sucks, in which case, never mind….

No comments:

Post a Comment