Friday, September 15, 2017

Burning Down the House

Earlier last month I decided to reclaim the formal living room.  When we moved in 7 years ago, we decided that it would be the boys' room and it would have a beach theme and was from then on referred to as the Beach Shack.  Now that the boys are older it's turned into a dumping ground for things "I'd rather not put away".  Substitute "I" with the name of any male member of the household.

I wanted to turn it into a museum of all my lovely pop culture collections but John said "au contraire".  He wanted to turn it into a home theater with risers and big ugly recliners but I said "hell no". So we compromised and it's going to be a home theater/display room.  I'd been calling it the 'theater' but I'm changing it to the "war room".  Why? Because every decision regarding this room from the color of the walls to the how many inches above the chair rail the t.v. will hang, has been a struggle.  The fight spectrum begins at Heated Discussion and goes all the way up to Knockdown Drag Out Fight and that's assuming one of the boy hasn't walked in and offered his opinion.  Then it goes up to 11; Why Would You Come in Here and Poke the Snake, You Stupid, Stupid Child?

So last weekend John and I were standing in the war room and he asked, "So what do you want to get done today?"
Me, "I'd really like to get those two shelves hung up."

We had hung shelves above the fireplace and I got two more to go above the two windows that flank the fireplace.

John, "Do we have then here?"
Me, "Yeah, they're laying over there." and we opened up one of the boxes.
John, "These are much deeper than the others."
Me, "Yeah, since they're going to be much higher up, I went with deeper. So if we could get the shelves hung then I can move the desk and bookcase back under the windows.  I've already moved them twice and don't want to move them a third time."

That furniture had to be moved so I could paint. I was using two different shades of purple so I painted the one color and then moved the furniture back because it was totally in the way. Then I pulled the furniture away from the wall for the second shade and once the shelves were up, everything could be put back into those corners and not be moved again. Ever.

John, "You know the deeper shelves would work well above the fireplace because they'd be lower and you could see more..."
Me, "but I only have two and we'd need three above the fireplace and that would be moving the furniture again and I really don't wan..."
John, "No, I wasn't suggesting we switch them out, just thinking out loud."
Me, "Okay. so, if we can just hang the shelves..."
John, <turning around and looking at where the t.v. will eventually hang> "We still need something to put the electronics in."
Me, "Yeah, but we don't need to do that now...."
John, "Didn't we find something we liked at Cost Plus?"
Me, "Yes, but you really didn't like the price."
John, "Oh yeah."
Me, "And we don't need to do that now. We've got tons of things around the house that we could use as a stop gap until we find something else and if we get the shelves hung we can move on from that side of the room."
John, "Yeah, uh-huh uh-huh, so want are you wanting to get done today?"
Me, "I WANT TO HANG THE SHELVES!"

ffffffuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkkkk




No comments:

Post a Comment