Thursday, January 28, 2016

It's like a Man Cave, only better smelling

So last weekend John made a comment about building me a room out back so that I'd have a place to go and hide.  The idea stuck in my head like a a beautiful cozy little ear worm and since then I've been decorating and redecorating my 'room' in my head.  I also started googling...

Then, I gave John a call at work,
Me, "So ya know my room that we were talking about?"
John, "Did you say 'womb'?"
Me, "No, but that's what I'm going to start calling it from now on.  I want a womb."
John, "Why don't you just use the sunroom?"
Me, "The sunroom isn't mine. It's everybody's. I'm talking about a womb that I can decorate and furnish without a bunch of boys going 'ew, yuck, that's stupid, I hate it, that chair sucks'."
John, "Hey, I just said that I'd like to have some input into the type of chairs that we get to replace the crumbling ones."
Me, "See, that's what I'm talking about. I want my OWN womb. You started this!"
John, "You know, the boys shared a womb."
Me, "Yeah, well, that wasn't my idea either. I've been googling 'small spaces'. What do you think the internet calls them?"
John, "I don't know."

Then he emailed this to me:

It's called a She-Shed
How has this been missing from my life for so long?


When John got home from work yesterday, I was ready to describe my vision to him.
Me, "Come out back."
John, "Do I need shoes?"
Me, "No, I'll point and you can stand by the door and visualize."
John, "Okaaaaay."
Me, "I'm thinking over there by the tree. We blow up this nasty deck and get rid of the hot tub that doesn't work..."
John, "The hot tub totally works."
Me, "Well, no one uses it....anyway, we get rid of all this and my She-Shed can go there."
John, "And all we need now is $30K"
Me, "It doesn't have to be very big.  Sam and I took some measurements and I'm thinking my She-Shed only needs to be 8' x 12'"
John, "You just like saying 'She-Shed', don't you?"
Me, "I really do.  She-Shed She-Shed She-Shed."
John, "8x12? That won't fit over there."
Me, "Well, we'll need to push back the retaining wall."
John, "You want to move the retaining wall?!?!"
(We've discussed the retaining wall in the past.  It's bowing out in one spot by maybe half a foot.  John, the engineer, insists that it's not a problem and will last for a hundred years but do we really want to risk it? really?)
John, "So now we need another $50K."
Me, "Why do you insist on putting a price tag on my happiness???"
At this point, John turned around and went back into the house.
Me, "IT'S LIKE YOU DON'T EVEN WANT ME TO BE HAPPY!"
Me, "John?"
Me, "Hello?"
<sigh>


No comments:

Post a Comment